How are you doing? Do you need a hug?
Two posts ago, we talked about connecting with ourselves. We explored self conversation and learned about how important it is to “Know Thy Self.”
Check out that post, here. https://connectrefresh.wordpress.com/2017/01/30/know-thy-self/
Now, I feel like we only brushed the tip of the iceberg on self exploration. It’s easy to think and read about, but what can we do to actually connect with our inner self? What if we are having trouble? Well, this time around, I want to talk about what to do if you feel lost.
I’ve been there before, and if you’re reading this, I bet you have, too. It’s that feeling where you feel so out of touch with yourself. You are unsure of what you want, what you need, and where you’re going next. Even though it might suck in that moment, it’s usually a critical turning point in your life. And guess what? I’m here to help you find your way again.
For me, the first thing I usually want to do is go for a walk. I’ll just walk and walk and let my mind sort itself out. I let thoughts flow, I ask myself questions, and I figure out solutions to problems I can fix when I get home.
Then I will:
- Turn on some music. Spotify has all the playlists you could ever dream of for whatever mood you’re in. https://www.spotify.com/us/
- Get into nature. Backyards, parks, gardens… Nature is so refreshing, calming, and healing. Do yourself a favor and get outdoors. This site is great for finding nature spots near you. https://www.naturefind.com/
- Go to a yoga class. Yoga is amazing. Having a balanced focus between the body and mind is something that many of us lack. Yoga teaches us how to utilize our amazing mind/body connection. It centers us. (Googling Yoga classes near me will be a great start!)
- Get away from my phone. There are times when I feel addicted, reliant, and dependent on my phone. That is when I know I need to shut it off. It’s so much easier to focus on the real world around me.
- Make art. Drawing, sketching, crafting, and painting are fantastic ways to connect with your inner thoughts and creativity. Creating art will reveal more to you about yourself than you could have ever imagined. Get inspired with http://www.pinterest.com
- Meditate. Meditation practice is a journey and takes time. Seek out workshops and guided meditations in your area. Here is a list of guided meditation apps. http://coolmomtech.com/2017/02/meditation-apps/
- Journal. Having an open journal where you can write, literally whatever you want, is incredibly helpful in discovering what your true thoughts and feelings are. All you need is a pen and paper for this one.
And when all is said and done, just do what makes you happy. Start doing more of the things that bring you joy, and be patient with yourself! Rome wasn’t built in a day.
There is so much more to explore here. We creators, destroyers and beams of light have so many different dimensions. But hopefully these daily actions will help you take a step in the right direction & find your road map again.
Stayed tuned for further exploration in how to connect with ourselves, and in the meantime, tweet me @AnnaEastActs & share what helps you when you feel lost!
p.s. Hug an animal. Or a friend. Or your mom.
You won’t regret it.